Thursday, November 11, 2010

Magna Carta

King John Interview 1218 A.D.

Q: What was the reasoning for the Magna Carta?

A: My people believed that style of leading them was wrong. They believed that they had not been given their deserved rights. They had wanted more representation in the Government. I had made some decisions that had angered them. My quarrel with Pope Innocent III resulted in suspension of church services in England. This did not make my people happy. A few years ago, nobles in England came together and wrote a document full of promises that I must keep to them. After much consideration, I decided to sign it.

Q: What was the importance of this signing?

A: After signing the document, the people got the individual rights they had desired. The signing helped to form a court of nobles that would balance my power with theirs. The people are much happier now that they have a say in the government. Its been quite hard for me to cope with the new changes, but it will work out soon. This document forever changed the way government worked in England.

"Magna Carta (1215)." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 11 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment