Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Crusades

Pope Urban II Interview 1101 A.D.

Q: What was your reasoning for launching the Crusades?

A: The land of our savior had been under the rule of Muslim people for many years. It was my obligation to take it back. I knew that God would have wanted me to be in control of the land of our ancestors. The city that Christ called home had to be under Christian rule.

Q: How did you carry out the mission of taking Jerusalem?

A: First, I gathered an army of powerful soldiers from all over the Holy Roman Empire. The planned out route required the men to travel east to Constantinople and then into Arabia. Once they made it to Jerusalem they surrounded the city and starved the people within. When enough time passed, my men pushed into the city and took it over.

Q: What was the outcome of this crusade?

A: I had some of my men bring back anything they could find. Though there was no treasure, they had books and documents that explained a society so advanced. These writings helped us to learn new things about a civilization we never even dreamed of. The Crusades were a huge turning point in the civilization of the west.

"The Crusades (Overview)." World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras. ABC-CLIO, 2010. Web. 11 Nov. 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment